Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Worship Wednesday

After some deliberation this afternoon, I have decided that my Wednesday blog will be devoted to the music Jeremy and I pick out for Sunday's service.  My hope is that this will give a little insight into the rhyme and reason of why we choose the songs we do!!

This week we have chosen the following songs:
       I Stand Amazed In The Presence
       He Hideth My Soul
       Holy Spirit, Living Breath of God
       Mighty To Save
       **Stand Still**
       How Deep

I Stand Amazed In The Presence is an amazing hymn...one of my faves.  We chose it as the opening this week because it's a little peppy, yet traditional!  My favorite line is from the last verse, "T'will be my joy through the ages to sing of His love for me!"  Singing each Sunday morning brings my such joy; I can't imagine how multiplied the experience will be when we were are "with the ransomed in glory!"

He Hideth My Soul was a special request by a very special church member!!  Her birthday is this Sunday, and she is just the sweetest lady you will ever meet...and boy, can she tell stories and give wise advice!  How could you turn down the birthday girl's request?? :)  I hope she enjoys it because I will definitely enjoy leading it for her!!

We introduced Holy Spirit, Living Breath of God last Sunday during the offertory.  I found this song last week, and I'm digging it.  The lyrics simply beg the Holy Spirit to come abide within, give us passion for his purity, and turn our strivings into works of grace.  The resounding theme throughout this song is to ask the Holy Spirit to revive us from within and set us on fire for Him!  This is such a wonderful song!!

Mighty To Save is one of my favorite songs that Jeremy sings (not just because I think he does an awesome job with it!)  It is just a powerful song!!  It reiterates the fact that no one is perfect, everyone needs compassion and love, and EVERYONE needs the type of love only Christ can give.  The second verse of this song is important because it is an offer to God.  "So take me as you find me, all my fears and failures, fill my life again.  I give my life to follow, everything I believe in, now I surrender."  This is offering up every fiber of your being to God and his mercy.  These are words that shouldn't simply be sang...they are a prayer.  If you don't mean these words, then they shouldn't come out of your mouth.

We are doing another special song during offertory this week.  This week's special is Stand Still as performed by the Issacs.  I'm not usually a bluegrass-y type of gal, but I love this song.  It states that when we feel we're walking all alone and we're faced with life's decisions, we just need to "stand still, and let God move."  What an encouragement to know that God is in control of each and every moment and situation in our life.  Nothing is impossible for our God.

How Deep serves as our invitation song this week.  The invitation is our last chance at the end of the sermon to focus everyone's heart on the message they just heard and the all-important message of Christ's amazing love through music.  This is a beautiful song that describes all the pain and struggles Christ endured, yet He loved us so much, He went through it anyways.

Can't wait for this Sunday's message!!  I hope to see everyone at Smiths Grove Baptist Church this week...service starts at 10:30!!!  :)

post signature

1 comment:

  1. I think this should be linked to the church website or something so every member can see it...to prepare the heart for the day of the Lord!

    ReplyDelete